莱斯特华人网 | LeicesterBBS

搜索
莱斯特华人网 | LeicesterBBS 论坛 新闻快递 | News DMU考虑在学生证中加入芯片检查缺课记录 ...
查看: 2547|回复: 5
go

[学校相关] DMU考虑在学生证中加入芯片检查缺课记录 [复制链接]

金钱
魅力
威望
积分
精华
帖子

有面子徽章

1#
发表于 2011-6-6 08:58 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览 |打印
根据Leicester Mercury 报道,DMU在考虑在学生卡中放入芯片,用以监测谁来听课,谁缺课,次计划引起了学生的关注,大部分学生对此想法表示反对。

[来源Leicester Mercury 5月6日]

http://www.thisisleicestershire. ... detail/article.html

Students' concern over 'Big Brother-style' surveillance
DeMontfortUni
De Montfort University is looking to monitor students' attendance

By david owen

De Montfort University is looking to monitor students' attendance using its wireless internet network.

University bosses are considering putting electronic chips in students' ID cards, which will be picked up by the network to check who is present at lectures and seminars.

However, students have criticised the proposal, saying it is "Orwellian" and the equivalent of an "electronic tag" used for criminals.

English language and media student Manisha Hellan, 19, said: "You come to university to be treated like an adult, not a child. As long as you get your work done, whether you go to lectures or not should be your choice. I understand the reasoning behind it but my concern is what else it could be used for – it's a bit Big Brother."

Criminology student Pavin Sohal, 21, said: "It sounds a bit like having an electronic tag without having committed a crime."

The chip in the card would be picked up by various wi-fi internet access points – known as hotspots – dotted around the Leicester campus. It would automatically log those students attending class – and identify those who are not.

While other universities have electronic monitoring systems, this automatic one is more unusual. DMU is among the many universities to announce it will charge students the maximum fee of £9,000 in 2012/13.

Music technology student Jo Lofthouse, 20, said: "I don't like the idea of being under surveillance. If I'm up to date with my studies and doing well, what's wrong with missing the odd lecture and having a pint in the student union bar?

"If the university is going to be charging such high fees, they should invest the money in teaching, not schemes like this."

However, Christina Ferlusca, 23, who is studying accountancy and finance, said: "I don't think it would particularly bother me. In fact, it might even motivate me to go to more lectures. I would feel a bit guilty if everyone knew I hadn't been attending."

The plan was discussed – and approved – at a meeting of the university's executive board.

Further consultation on the plans will now take place.

According to minutes for the meeting, Professor David Wilson described the system as "the most foolproof way of monitoring attendance".

Professor Adrian Hopgood added it would be particularly welcome "given the current wasted resource involved with logging attendance manually".

Liam Davis, the newly-elected president of De Montfort University Students Union, could not be reached to comment.

However, Aaron Porter, president of the national NUS students' body, said the system would be open to abuse. He said: "Those who stand to pay increasing fees for the privilege of studying will baulk at the prospect of being treated like inmates under surveillance. Software allowing universities to keep constant tabs on students has the potential to be abused.

"Any university seeking to teach such a practical lesson in Orwell studies has its work cut out in seeking to convince students that forced exposure to round-the-clock monitoring will not infringe on their privacy or dignity."

A DMU spokeswoman said: "We are currently exploring whether or not to use an electronic student attendance monitoring system. No decision has yet been made."

金钱
魅力
威望
积分
精华
帖子
2#
发表于 2011-6-6 12:26 |只看该作者
University of Luton 早就在用了,没什么效果,同学帮着拿着去上课帮忙刷就行了,还是自觉性重要呀

金钱
魅力
威望