积分
精华
帖子
1#
发表于 2009-4-5 00:32 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览 |打印
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7983923.stm

'I save my coppers to buy food'  

Ms Charles waits to buy food almost past its sell-by date

Rising food prices mean more people are struggling to pay to feed themselves, with many children facing malnutrition as a result, charity Save the Children has warned.

Here, one woman, Lois Charles, 51, of Milton Keynes - who has been unemployed since June - tells just how difficult it is to feed her and her 17-year-old daughter.

I save up my coppers and loose change and try to spend it on the things I need.

"I get £60.50 a week and it goes in fortnightly. With that, I've got to pay all my bills and that's including TV licence, electricity, mortgage and water.

"After that, I don't have a lot - it's less than £20 a week. I mostly buy reduced stuff, stuff that's come up to its sell-by date. The best place for that is places like Morrisons.

The other day I bought a fruit loaf for 9p and a bag of lemons - I can't afford tea bags so I drink hot water and lemon - and I bought a bag nearing their sell-by date for 9p.

I haven't eaten today, and that happens pretty regularly

Baked beans have gone up to 17p a can now, and that's too much.

"I miss meals regularly - I haven't eaten today, and that happens pretty regularly.

"What I am trying to do is use these deals where you can make a meal for a fiver - that will last us two, sometimes three meals.

"Bread and milk and eggs have really gone up. I'm buying value food all the time, it's the only way I can eat. Sometimes I use more petrol driving around looking to see what deals there are.

'Catch 22'

I buy less fruit. I tend to grow my own. I've got a cooking apple tree and some rhubarb, but there's only so much you can eat of those.

I also buy the 'grow your own for a pound' - tomatoes and peppers. It's the only way I can give more to my daughter.

In June I will have been unemployed for a year - I was in secretarial administration, a PA. I have a scientific background.

I would love to be able to provide for my daughter. My daughter is unemployed too. And because she is under 18, she doesn't get any money.

I have an elderly mother who helps out financially, but that's gradually running out and I don't know how long she'll be able to provide for me. As soon as I can I want to be paying her back.. it's a Catch 22.

金钱
魅力
威望
积分
精华
帖子

荣誉会员奖章 有面子徽章

2#
发表于 2009-4-5 15:02 |只看该作者
难怪英国一下子多了那么多乞丐,我有一天碰到主动问我要钱的就有4个,其中还包含了着装不逊且发音高雅的英国人。。。
‹ 上一主题|下一主题
你需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 註 冊